Sunday, February 10, 2008

Weekend

It seems that we forgot to post yesterday!  ooops... well, I guess we were too busy riding, wine tasting, cooking, and playing ever more rounds of hand & foot.

We decided on a shorter recovery ride today so that our Saturday afternoon would be left open.  That was our SEVENTY degree and SUNNY Saturday afternoon, btw.  After our 16 mile pedal, we mapped out a driving route through wine country to do a little wine tasting.  There is no shortage of wineries around here, as evidenced by this website that helps to guide you through the local wine country - every dot and bit of text on that map is a different vineyard!!  Our goal was simple: find tasting rooms that did not charge a tasting fee.

Winery stop number one, Peachy Canyon winery, was a thumbs down for its $5 tasting fee, so we skipped it after obtaining this free pen.  Stop number two was more successful as we found some tasty beverages free of charge at Castoro Cellars, and a room full of schwag to look at if you're into buying wine bottle stoppers, cocktail napkins, olive spread, or t-shirts.  Their Primitivo wine was very tasty, but not worth buying a $25 bottle imho... Sadly I have an uneducated palate, and cheap wine usually tastes just as good to me!

Our third stop was a gold mine. The Eagle Castle winery was great for many reasons:

1) free wine tasting, and a long list of wines - they wanted us to try all of them.
2) it was a flipping castle, complete with a moat.
3) we found a great place to take Kristina next Sunday!
4) Alie found a handsome fellow to take a picture with, and so did I!  sigh...

After I'd had plenty to taste at Eagle Castle, Alie and I decided it was time to take off after our wine pourer tried to set me up on a date with one of the other wine pourers. huh.  We tried one more stop, but found that this place also charged a wine tasting fee.  Instead, we took a picture on this big ol' wooden wine barrel:


So that was our Saturday!  On Sunday we each went out for solo rides, as I explored a hilly route to the east at Eeyore pace in the morning, and Alie explored a western route in the afternoon at more of a Tigger pace.  Tonight we head to Rebecca's house for some dinner and fun.

In other news, we like getting comments on our blog.  Anything. Even if you just say hi!  We check it frantically and get sad when we see the "0 comments" :(  so, help us out if you will.  And we would post an update on Richie's success at the NAHBS, but we haven't heard from him... richard?  helloooooo?

Miles Ridden This Weekend: 49 - 63
Miles Ridden 2008: 321.5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't drink too much wine, girlies. I want you to be VERY THIRSTY come Saturday!! One of my friends has a really good guy friend in San Luis who might be able to show us some hot spots there if we want. I can't wait to see you!!!

Melody! said...

Hi! My name is Melody!
I get down in the dumps when no one comments on my blog too! It makes me feel lonesome and underappreciated! You gals post so much!
I love pink!
My daddyhas you two gals linked! He thinks atmo©™® is grand!

Anonymous said...

comment

Unknown said...

See previous wine comment. Seriously.

W&C represent!